Greater Olean Hospitality Wall of Fame

About the Sculptor

Honoring the history of hospitality

Thank yous

The Sculpture/Monument

Hospitality Wall of Fame Inductees

Hospitality Scholarship Application 2024

Honoring the history of Hospitality

Hos.pi.tal.i.ty  -  the friendly and generous reception and entertainment of guests, visitors or strangers.

The Hospitality Sculpture pays tribute to the recipients of the Hospitality Hall of Fame. Each and every inductee defines the definition of Hospitality. 

Hospitality has been a leading industry in the area, it is essential to honor the history, longevity and resilience of the industry and honor the individuals who devoted their lives to it. These individuals and establishments are a woven part of the fabric of our community.  A true sense of pride and history emerges reading the biographies.

Thank you

It is only through the generosity of the community that the tribute Sculpture has come to fruition. Thank you to the Greater Olean Community and friends and family of recipients for your support in the project.

A special thank you for the generous donations of:

The Cutco Foundation

Robert Coffey in memory of John Coffey

Olean American Legion, Post 530

Friends and Family of Doris Williams

Steve Hollowell

D.J. Butchello in memory of Daniel J. Butchello and Gerald A. Butchello

Thank you Cattaraugus Region Community Foundation for your support in facilitating this project and continued support converting the Fund into a Scholarship to support students pursuing a degree in the Hospitality industry related field of study.              

The Sculpture/Monument

The base stone is Barre Vermont gray Granite with the notable recipients' names engraved into the sides of the base stone.

The Base Stone has a slot in it that receives the fabricated stainless steel vertical element. Stainless Steel represents the vast stainless steel in restaurant kitchens. Ensconced in the vertical element are three Blue Cast Glass elements. Glass elements are a signature of the sculptor.

At the top of the Stainless steel Vertical is a fabricated ovular stainless steel capital with blue porcelain enameled stars- depicting a level of service.

On the top of the Capital is a Cast Bronze large pineapple symbolizing the universal symbol of “Hospitality”.

At the very top of the pineapple is a stainless steel circle that represents a plate with a spoon, fork and knife cut through the plate space, thus completing the symbolic essentials of quality dining. 

Wall of Fame Inductees:

Peter Miller (2023)

Teddy Welch (2023)

Carmen Leroy (2023)

Carmella Jadlowski (2023)

Paul Green (2021)

Louis Frungillo Jr (2021)

Doris Mae Williams (2021)

John Cappelletti (2019)

Daniel Butchello Jr. (2019)

Larry Chiarenza (2019)

Alfred P. LaFredo Sr (2018)

Alfred "Sparky" Granger (2018)

Randy Korkowlcz (2018)

Ola Mae Gayton (2017)

Lisa and Paul Marra (2017)

Mike and PJ McAfee (2017)

Anthony Procacci (2017)

James Hastas (2016)

John and Karol Long (2016)

Anthony Fratercangelo (2016)

Joe Marra (2015)

Marlayne Robinson (2015)

Tom Weatherell (2015)

John Sue (2015)

Louis Frungillo, Sr. (2014)

John F. Coffey (2014)

Eugene Stopha (2014)

Richard Piccioli (2014)

Jackie Attard (2013)

John Marlara (2013)

Richard Marcus (2013)

Louis Marra (2013)

Nicholas Livoto (2012)

Lou Russo (2012)

Steven Hollowell (2012)

Neil and Denis Goodemote (2011)

James Pappas (2011)

Paul and Mary Psathas (2011)

Anthony Zampogna (2011)

Daniel Fessenden (2010)

Robert Styles (2010)

Jim McAfee (2010)

Anthony Bassano (2010)

Quinto and Dora Bagazzoli (2009)

Bill Augostini (2009)

Nicholas Fratarcangelo (2009)

Louis L. Marra (2009)

Lycia Bardenett (2008)

Carl Iseman (2008)

John Sawaya, Sr. (2008)

Louis and Nancy Giannechi (2008)

Pasquale “Patsy” Piccioli (2007)

Anthony Lentola (2007)

Guerino Butchello (2007)

Hospitality bios

Peter Miller - 2023 recipient

Peter Began his baking career in 1972 at the former Super Duper on East State St. in Olean, NY He started as a cleaner and later took the position as an apprentice Baker.  He worked there until the store closed in 1977.  As he wanted to continue with his baking career, he took a position at Sal’s Supermarket in Bradford, PA.  Not wanting to continue the early morning drive he decided to take a position as the Baker at the Castle Restaurant. 

The Castle Restaurant was a new experience.  He made the fancy desserts and made sure there were plenty of goodies for the Sunday and Holiday brunches.  He worked at the Castle until his position was eliminated in 1985 due to budget cuts; however unemployment did not last long as there was a position open for a Baker at Rieds Food Barn.

While at Rieds, Pete became the manager of the Bakery from 1985- 2010. In addition to baking, he did the ordering, hired and trained employees and even delivered Wedding Cakes. Pete was always very considerate of his employees and the needs of the customers.

In January of  2010, Pete decided to retire as the manager only to return in May that same year to fill in during vacations or busy times. Retirement is not in Pete’s vocabulary as he continues to work part time for Rieds Bakery.  Pete continues to train new employees with the same patients and consideration that he has always shown.  

The quality, consistency and amount of bakery products that Peter Miller has produced  in his career of 51 years is unmatched. He has literally provided hundreds of thousands of desserts, holiday affairs, rolls and breads for many weddings, holidays and events. Pete is a man of not only the highest degree of work ethic and produces a consistent product but he is the person that never takes the credit, is modest and humble preferring to stay in the background while always doing the very best.

Peter spent many years as a Boy Scout leader.  He often spent a week of his vacation time at Boy Scout camp.  As a member of Immanuel Lutheran Church he is a lay reader, council member and treasurer, in addition, the accountant for Immanuel Christian Child Care.  He is an AARP volunteer, doing taxes for senior citizens.  

Teddy Welch - 2023 recipient 

Welch's opened in 1938 (Billy Welch Cafe) and was family owned and operated for 50 years. Theodore “Teddy” Welch began his career in the hospitality business at a young age, working for his father Billy Welch. It was truly a family business, as everyone in the family worked; “On your 12th birthday you got to go to work peeling potatoes and doing dishes” the family recalls.

Teddy was a veteran of World War II, serving with the Navy. Upon returning home he was instrumental in acquiring, renovating and managing the Olean Post 530 American Legion.

In the 1960’s Teddy took ownership of Welch's Family Restaurant from brother John. He and his wife, Frances, for the next quarter of a century welcomed guests to the restaurant. Beyond the steaks, Chops and seafood patrons were serenaded with live entertainment. Having performed on radio and television, music was an important ingredient, lending to the hospitality experience for his guests.

Olean’s Irish Tenor -Teddy had an incredible singing voice, and he regaled patrons with his rendition of Danny Boy & other Irish ballads at every St. Patrick's Day celebration at his bar, always before a packed house. 

Teddy passed away in 1991 just a few years after retiring, however the history of Teddy Welch serving and singing lives on.      ~Irish eyes are always smiling ~

Carmen Leroy - 2023 recipient  

Carmie started work at an early age at the L’Alcove Restaurant and then Carmie and her husband bought and operated the Royal Restaurant for many years. 

To say the Restaurant and Hospitality business is in her blood would be an understatement. Carmie has served the people of  her community from The Beef n Barrel, Jubilation, to Quinto’s until she joined her good friends Mike and Betsy Zampogna at the Hos-ta-geh Restaurant. She loved the work so it made it easy and a lot of her customers remain her friends to this day.  After many years “going up the hill” and after an accident, Carmie left  Hos-ta-geh to join the Angee’s Restaurant Family.

“I loved it there, we were all family. I worked alone at night for many years and we were crazy busy till 12 o’clock every night.  We had fun and made a lot of friends.  I loved the work and still do.  I still know everyone who came in by what they ate and drank”. Customers would come to Angee’s not only for the wonderful menu, but to see Carm.

Carmie retired after 17 years of working with Angee’s but continues to enjoy the friends she made and still shares lasting friendships to this day!

Her mom, Carmella Jadlowski, also worked at Angees and they were known as “Big Carm” and “Little Carm”.  It’s hard to think of one and not the other.  Cut from the same mold, with a work ethic seldom seen today.

Carmella Jadlowski - 2023 recipient

Carmella began her waitress career in the early ‘70’s at Angee’s Restaurant working the day shift.  She worked until her retirement in 2008. She was a staple of Angee’s Restaurant Family for 38 years.

Throughout her time she worked with “Little Nick” behind the bar and “Big Nick” cooking. Everyone who went to Angees knew her by name. Carmella was a legend in her own right.  If anyone mentions Angee’s to this day they say they remember Carmy waiting on them,  Old timers still come in and ask about her.  

Her daughter, Carmen Leroy, also worked with her and they were affectionately known as “Big Carm” and “little Carm”. They shared an unsurpassed work ethic and intuitively knew the true meaning of hospitality.

The true meaning of hospitality is - The receiving of guests in a way that makes them feel well taken care of.  Carmella Jadlowski embodied the meaning.  

Carmella died shortly after retirement at the age of 81.  She is loved and missed by many.

Paul Green - 2021 recipient

Paul Green started his hospitality career at the Downtown Deli in Olean under Louis Marra Sr. Paul was a short order cook for three years. Paul then moved out to West State Street to the Castle Restaurant for nine years, first as  a line chef and then a banquet chef.

While he was at St. Bonaventure University for five years in the food service department, Paul was food beverage manager.  In 1996, Paul moved east and opened the original Green Acres Café in Bolivar, NY. Paul’s first café served customers for 10 years.

Knowing his heart was in downtown Olean, Paul relocated Green Acres Café to 133 North Union Street in Olean.  Patterned after a 1930s style diner with counter service and booth seating, his Olean restaurant came in for familiar faces and fresh-cooked meals.

Paul is noted for his breakfast specials – very creative!  Also, his soups, salads, burgers and sandwiches are well-known and top sellers. Paul has celebrated 28 years of ownership with Green Acres Cafes.  Paul has had an extensive history of training staff, and most are like part of his family.

Louis Frungillo Jr. - 2021 recipient

Lou started his tasty working history at the first L’Alcove on North Fourth Street in Olean at the age of 14. His first job was a salad maker under the direction of his father whistling,  Lou Frungillo Sr. (former WOF recipient 2014). By the age of 16, Lou Jr. was one of the cooks.

Later that year, Lou went to New York City as a 16-year-old and entered a culinary contest presented by the Pratt Culinary Institute and came in third!

His kitchen work history and his teachers are from local restaurants and many former WOF recipients. Lou continued working at the former L’Alcove under his father, and under Jerry and Billy Butchello. He went to the Castle Restaurant and cooked and was trained by Chef Lentola and Johnny Augostini. Lou’s job titles there were cook and meat cutter.

Next up, Lou went to the newly opened L’Alcove Restaurant on North Union Street. He became assistant manager under the direction of Jerry Butchello. Lou then went east with the L’Alcove Castle Corporation when the company opened a new restaurant, Cameo in Wellsville. He was the general manager at the new venture

Lou also worked at the Augostini’s Restaurant under the direction of Billy Augostini (the person who nominated Lou for his award!) He finished up his professional hospitality career of 26 years as food service director for Allegany and Cattaraugus County schools.

Doris Mae Williams - 2021 recipient

Doris started her restaurant career as a waitress for Mickey’s Diner in Yorkshire, which is where she discovered her cooking skills.  She and her husband, Wendell, became self-employed owners of the Tip-Top Drive-In also located in Yorkshire.  From there, they operated the Brunswick Hotel Restaurant in Wellsville. In 1959, the duo moved to Olean, where they purchased and operated the Capitol Hill Tavern and Restaurant.  The Capitol Hill became so much more than just a business – it was their livelihood.  It was a family-oriented place to come to, a place where all ages were welcomed.  Doris made sure her supporters knew they meant so much more to them than just being a customer.  She welcomed everyone with open arms, kindness and made them feel at home.  Doris always made sure you had a place to go for the holidays, had a hot meal and were never alone.  She always extended a helping hand to anyone in need.  She organized weddings, receptions, as well as birthday and graduation parties for many family members and friends – this truly was her calling.

Doris and Wendell were among the original sponsors of the Olean area tavern softball league as well as supporters of many other sports teams.  They truly loved being a sponsor of the local teams – where many life-long friendships were developed. Devastatingly, in 1976, a fire destroyed their business and the home they made above the restaurant.  As a life-long member of the Elks Lodge in Olean, Wendell was approached by the most generous and greatest generations of Olean Elks Lodge brothers: Al Steiger, Al Gates, Ed Sweitzer, Roger Linnan, Charlie Rose and Harvey VanGelder.  They proposed a business opportunity for Doris to have full access to their kitchen and dining room facilities at the Lodge to make it her own. In 1977, Doris went to the Olean Elks Lodge where she built a very successful daily lunch and Friday Night Fish Fry dining experience lasting 20 years.  This endeavor also included banquets and receptions.  In 1986, Doris had the honor of being chosen as the Elk’s Mother of the Year. In 1988, she had the chance to manage and operate the kitchen at Digger’s Capitol Hill, owned by her daughter and son-in-law.  She was famous for her home-made pies and soups, among many other specialty dishes. Sadly, Doris passed away on January 5, 2021.  She was a very special woman and was loved and respected by all generations.

John Cappelletti - 2019 recipient

John has served the Olean community and surrounding area in the food service for over 30 plus years. He has worked with prominent restaurants and restaurateurs in addition to opening and owning his own restaurants.

John created a home atmosphere wherever he worked and owned. Someone said that good food should be joyful — there should be laughter and chatter — inviting space that feels just like   the home kitchen.

John started his food service career  as a baker and chef at St. Bonaventure University from 1949 to 1951. He went to Piccioli's Restaurant in Olean under Pasquale Piccioli (2007 Wall of Fame recipient) as chef from 1952-1957.

Heading over the state line, John's next gig was with the Roman Villa Restaurant in Bradford, Pa. as head chef from 1958-1961. Up and over the hill, John went to HoStaGeh Restaurant in Olean as head chef from 1963-1966.

Itching to begin cooking under his own roof and name, John opened and owned John Cap's Restaurant across from St. Bonaventure from 1967 to 1969. He ventured into downtown Olean with the same name restaurant John Cap's Restaurant that was next to Angee's Restaurant from 1976 to 1979.

As he received mentoring from previous owners of other restaurants he worked for, John returned the favor and worked with Louis Marra (2009 Wall of Fame recipient) to set up the original Downtown Deli. John stayed on as head chef for many years.``No one is born a great cook. One learns by doing." — Julia Child

Daniel Butchello Jr. - 2019 recipient

"D.J.”. was born into the restaurant business as his grandfather Guerinto “Butch" Butchello and his father Daniel J. Butchello Sr. created the famed Castle Restaurant in Olean.

D.J. has served the hospitality industry for over 40 years. He served most notably at this family's restaurant, the Castle, which was a landmark in Olean and Western New York for many years.

He has served in many capacities throughout many local restaurants with a variety of titles: general manager, chalet manager, food sales rep and in the kitchen. He was general manager at the Bartlett Country Club where he directed the club in achieving a reputation in fine dining and private club experience.

D.J. worked at the clubhouse restaurant at St. Bonaventure as general manager, and at Holiday Valley as chalet manager. He also had a hand in Loretto foods, which was an offshoot of the restaurant and inn business. The Castle was noted for its food and hospitality; in turn the company started bottling many of the spaghetti sauces and the famous Loretto salad dressing.

D.J. continued helping area chefs excel as a food service sales representative for Maplevale Farms. D.J. honors the men in the Butchello family with instilling in his work ethic the Castle Restaurant advice which was found on the dining menu: "To do as adversaries do in law, strive mightily but eat and drink as friends."

Larry Chiarenza - 2019 recipient

Born December 8, 1938, in Bradford, PA Larry Chiarenza was the son of Joseph A. Chiarenza and Julia Patuto.Mr. Chiarenza. He graduated from high school in Kenmore, NY and moved to Olean in 1962. He resided on 12th St. most of his life and also lived in the Olean House Apartments for two years prior to moving to The Pines in 2003.

Larry had been employed for many years as a dishwasher at Hastas Restaurant on N. Union St. where he enjoyed conversations with his many friends. He was a volunteer for area sporting events including the Olean Midget Football League and as a scorekeeper for the Olean City Softball League. He was also a huge St. Bonaventure University basketball fan.

He belonged to St. Mary of the Angels Church, was a frequent visitor to Tom's News Stand, and he also enjoyed spending time in the Public Library. In 2004 he received the Olean Chamber of Commerce Good News Award in the Senior category.

Larry Chiarenza is a genuine Olean legend that worked as a waiter, bus boy, host, dishwasher and sports guru at Hastas Restaurant in Olean. The Hospitality Wall of Fame recognizes individuals and/or businesses that have made a significant contribution and given exceptional service to the food service/ hospitality industry. The area that Larry excelled in was creating an inviting atmosphere at Hastas and was a very friendly and inquisitive staff member.


Alfred P. LaFredo Sr. - 2018 recipient

Alfred was born July 1, 1914, in Rochester. He was the son of Italian immigrants, Frank and Maria Loffredo. At the age of twenty-two, Al began his career in the restaurant business. From 1936 to 1942, he was employed at the Roger Smith Hotel in White Plains as the headwaiter. He organized the dining room in the hundred-room hotel and was in charge of banquets. Al supervised the waitstaff, was responsible for hiring and discharging employees, and kept time and payroll records.

In August 1943, Al began his service in the US Army. He spent nineteen months in the European Theater of Operations, where he was a squadron supply and orderly room clerk. His duties included keeping records and securing passes for enlisted men. He was honorably discharged in 1945. Al then went to Rochester and on September 19, 1945, he married the former Rose Tokarcik. In 1950, after settling in Olean, Al was hired by Guerino "Butch" Butchello, and he began his employment at the Castle Restaurant as the maitre d' and banquet manager. For the next twenty-five years, in his busy position at the Castle, Al served the public. The Castle was his home away from home, as he worked tirelessly to facilitate the smooth operation of all dining and banquet rooms. Al planned and seamlessly executed banquets, holiday parties, wedding receptions, Queen for a Day, and events involving the Miss New York State Pageant. He hired and scheduled hours for all the waitresses, bartenders and busboys. Al gave many Olean-area teens their first jobs. Working as a busboy or a waitress at the Castle and having Al as a supervisor is a memory many have today. He was a strict, no-nonsense boss, and he taught many young people the meaning of responsibility in the workplace. Several who trained under and worked with Al went on to become well known in the restaurant business. Al and Rose LaFredo were members of St. Mary of the Angels Church. They raised four children: Alfred Jr., Ron, Cecile, and Jerry. In 1975, upon Al's retirement, Olean Mayor William O. Smith presented him with the key to the City. Al and Rose retired to Florida, where they had many years together before his death on August 5, 1979.

Alfred Granger- 2018 Recipient 

Alfred “Sparky” has been in the hospitality business since 1996, first starting at Third Base Bar & Grill. Next came Sparky's Pizza, Home Plate Diner and his latest enterprise Grand Slam Grill.

Third Base is particularly known for its excellent chicken wings, of which he sells 1000s on Super Bowl Sunday. Third Base has become the go to place for food for the St. Bonaventure Men's Basketball team. The team always has a large sit-down dinner the night before a home game, catered to campus, such as chicken parmesan or strip steak dinners from his Grand Slam Grill.

As if owning Home Plate, Sparky's Pizza and 3rd Base wasn't enough, Sparky decided to open yet another baseball themed restaurant in March 2017. Sparky's Grand Slam Grill at 3132 NYS Route 417 opened a little over a year ago and is already a hit. Employing 20, everyone tries to make you feel comfortable in this casual setting. They serve lunch and dinner and have a full bar as well as a menu that includes seafood, pasta, sandwiches, and more. Grand Slam makes their own pasta, meatballs and dressings. Sparky's also provides food (pizza, subs, wings) for the Bonnies bus or plane ride when they go on the road. Visiting teams also order large quantities of food from Sparky's for their overnight stays and/or return trips to their school. Sparky's Pizza uses the same recipe that goes back to the days of Warner's Pizza in the 1960s. The business has had the same phone number since 1960: 716-372-1097.

Sparky Granger sponsors many local sports teams including softball, basketball, billiards, darts, the Olean Oilers, Gus Macker, the MFB Tourney, the City Cup and many others. He is very hands-on at all four businesses, visiting each several times a day to unload trucks in the morning, visiting customers, making sure things are running smoothly. Many times, his days start at 6 a.m. and end near midnight! No matter what time of day you visit one of his establishments, you can almost be assured you will see him there, doing the little things that have made his businesses so successful. Sometimes it seems like he's in all four places at once!

Randy Korkowicz 2018 Recipient

Randy has taken a small business (a former stagecoach stop/hotel turned speakeasy, bar and restaurant built in the 1860s) and turned it into a very successful restaurant — Randy's Up the River. The restaurant opened its doors on April 8, 1988, and Randy and his staff haven't looked back! The majority of his employees have been with him for anywhere from 10 years to over 20 years.

Randy's background in the hospitality business includes managing several night clubs where he learned the promotional side of this business — what worked well and what flopped. Randy's mother, Beverly Korkowicz was a waitress and then owner of the restaurant where she worked. Randy learned at an early age the service industry from his mom. Many of his practices at both restaurants were learned from mom. Also, to this day, the recipe he uses for his beer battered fish fry is from his mom.

 Randy's Up the River has never closed for 30 years since it has been open for the people that did not have anywhere to go for the holidays. They came not only for the food and great meals, but also the great company. Randy spread his wings and went east to Olean. In December 2012, Randy's Fireside opened. Randy's Fireside resulted as a labor of love... literally! It was just called the Fireside by a previous owner years ago when the place was a popular watering hole with live music on the weekends. As they were enjoying a Saturday night there with friends, it was where Randy first kissed his future wife, Debbie. Over the years, the place changed owners and names several times, and was converted to more of a restaurant than a bar. So, it seemed kismet when the place came up for sale again in 2012, that Randy and Debbie expanded their business. So, they purchased it and changed the name back to Fireside, completing the circle, and honoring the place that set them on their path. Step inside and you, too, will become enamored with the inviting atmosphere, cozy booths and crackling fireplace, and allow your hosts and their friendly staff to serve you delicious fare, delectable desserts and unique cocktails that are, once again, turning the Fireside into a popular destination. It may sound corny, but what makes Randy feel the proudest of his accomplishments? It's when customers again and again state that they had a great meal, great company, and great atmosphere from their visit to one of Randy's places.


Ola Mae Gayton - 2017 Recipient

Ola Mae is a fabulous chef, her southern specialties famous for miles around. Olean was fortunate when she and her husband Jim decided to move back to his hometown, and open "No Match" Southern Cookin'. They loved Olean, wanted to retire here, and offer great southern food and hospitality to old and new friends alike. And that they did! No matter when you stopped by, their welcome was warm. No matter what you ordered, you got a delicious meal. From the fried catfish to the ribs and beans, Ola Mae's special fried potatoes, the amazing corn muffins and oh, that chicken soup! Southern desserts were all winners, the most popular, Ola Mae's Peach Cobbler. And customers couldn't get enough of her sweet tea.The Gayton's restaurant added a special flavor to Olean that is remembered fondly to this day.

 After ten years of bringing great southern food to Olean, they retired, and the only way to get a touch of Ola Mae's flavors now is once a year at the African American Center for Cultural Development's "Juneteenth" celebration. Every June they hold a day of festivities to celebrate the June 19, 1865, emancipation of African American slaves in Texas and the Confederate states. Ola Mae's barbecue and peach cobbler are one of the highlights.After a social work career in the Washington, DC area during her husband's military career, Ola Mae wanted to use her cooking skills to open a long dreamed of restaurant. They decided they'd like to help revitalize Olean by coming home and opening it here. Not only did "No Match" offer great food, but they opened their doors to the community, welcoming the poetry group when they needed a place to meet, holding discussion groups on local and nationwide issues, and working to elevate the reputation of Olean in the process. Word spread and people came from all over the state and beyond. Ola Mae Gayton became an integral part of life in Olean, not only for her food and hospitality, but for her participation in cultural events with poetry and dramatic readings that highlighted African American writers and issues, elevating the city in this way too. She has long been eligible for the Hospitality Wall of Fame award, and the time has come to make her a recipient of this award. Part of the city's history will be missing if she is not one of the well-deserving awardees.

Lisa and Paul Marra - 2017 Recipients

Lisa began her food service career at the Rack N Rib Room, at the age of 16, under the leadership of Louis & Mary Barb Marra. From there she worked at several of the Marra family restaurants, including the Old Library, Café Marquis, & Kentucky Fried Chicken. While working in various positions, she gained the skills and knowledge she would one day use to own & operate a restaurant with her husband Paul.

Paul began his career working at the Downtown Deli with his parents. For over 20 years he worked in many positions at the family's restaurants including The Rack & Rib Room, Abby's Restaurant,  Louie's Downtown Deli, The Old Library Restaurant, Casey's Steakhouse, and Pasta Luigi's Restaurant.

In 1994 Lisa & Paul purchased Pasta Luigi's and operated it for almost 20 years, and in 2003 they decided to expand their business and build the much-needed Premier Banquet & Conference Center in Olean. Keeping with tradition, their children, Shelby, Caitlin & Nicole, all worked with Lisa & Paul for the next 13 years, hosting many events for the community, along with their incredible staff.

Lisa & Paul's 35 years in the hospitality business & dedication to family & community, is just another success story that shows why Olean is a great place to live.

Mike and PJ McAfee - 2017 Recipients

Mike's been with the Beef for 30 years and P.J. has been at the Beef for 24 years. They both excel at managing, running, and greeting at the Beef 'n' Barrel Restaurant. Mike and P.J. are great examples of hospitable workers —their friendly and generous reception and entertainment of guests, visitors and strangers to their establishment. No matter who greets you at the Beef, Mike or PJ they always make others feel comfortable and welcome in their home.

Although its famous beef bar and homemade apple pie have been Beef 'N' Barrel's most popular items, the menu has seen changes through the years. Today the menu consists of specialty drinks, starters such as the flowering onion, green salads, homemade soups, side orders like hot German potato salad, Beef Bar, ground round, desserts, house favorites, char grilled choice steaks, and the daily lunch and dinner specials.

Priorities have remained the same over the years. The food is most important, and a quiet atmosphere follows close behind. "People can come in and just have a piece of apple pie and coffee," the McAfee boys said, "We always take care of the food, and the rest takes care of itself."

Anthony Procacci - 2017 Recipient

Anthony "Tony" has staying power, from a small corner building in East State St. Olean to a beautiful, new building. Tony began his hospitality service in the Olean area in 1982 when he opened up Tony’s Napoli Restaurant. This was the first time the area witnessed the pizza dough tossing champ Tony create up his fresh homemade pizza and sauces.

His pizza, his pizza dough and even his sauces won awards. THE PIE YOU CANNOT DENY —the motto of Tony's creations. This restaurant was mostly take out/delivery with a small place for dining.

In 2009, Tony moved two doors down and created a new 3,200 sf restaurant called Tony’s Napoli Restaurant. The new place expanded its dining options as well as creating a full-service bar and dining area.

In 2010, Tony’s Napoli Restaurant was presented with the Greater Olean Area Chamber of Commerce’s Enterprising Business Award for its well-planned, thorough and serious approach to its development and keeping the hometown charm of the area. GOACC is now recognizing the creator, Tony, for his passion to succeed.

Tony has served up many good meals at good prices, but it's Tony and his warmth, generosity, and humor that keeps these customers coming back to his place. He is at home at Napoli where he serves up his authentic Italian dishes to his guests that he calls family.

As Paul Psathas, who nominated Tony, stated on the nomination form; "Tony is old school coming from the same place as the early winners of this prestigious award. Tony supports live music. This is so important to the experience of the diners but also provides work for so many local musicians. He has put his faith in Olean, his money in Olean, now it's time to put him in." Well deserved!

James Hastas - 2016 Recipient

Jim and Mary Hastas owned and operated Hastas Restaurant for 38 years at 315 North Union Street, Olean. Born of Greek immigrants whose families were both in the restaurant business, Jim's father Gus owned a Candy Kitchen in Franklinville, NY, and Mary's father James co-owned the Texas Hot Restaurant in Wellsville, NY. Jim was born in 1928, was raised and attended school in Franklinville. He graduated from the University of Buffalo. He was a good athlete while growing up, and his favorite sports were basketball and track and field. Jim served proudly in the U. S. Army and subsequently taught physical education and coached high school basketball, baseball, and football in Hinsdale.

In 1958, Jim left teaching to open 'Hastas Texas Hot' restaurant. He and Mary owned and operated the restaurant until March 31, 1993, when Jim retired.Because of Jim's incredible personality, sense of humor and love of sports (particularly basketball), people loved to come into the restaurant to have a cup of coffee and enjoy breakfast in the morning, a 'Famous Texas Hot' at lunch, and Jim's famous Chicken & Biscuits, Fish Fry or Pork & Dressing dinners in the evening. He was fondly referred to as "The Golden Greek," and he always had a kind word or a quick story.

One of Jim's greatest memories was that of Bob Lanier and some of the 1970 NCAA Final Four St. Bonaventure basketball team eating breakfast at the restaurant. To put it mildly, he was an avid Bonnie's fan, season ticket holder and booster club member. The restaurant became dubbed as 'Bona East.'

Hastas Texas Hots restaurant was a 50s style diner, with a great counter and stools for patrons to sit and booths along the side. Jim and his close-knit employees Annie, Melissa, Larry and Barb all loved to engage in friendly banter with customers while refilling their coffee cup, and more than anything the patrons of Hastas Texas Hot were always made to feel like family. Jim passed away in 2007 after a brief illness. Just a few days before he died, he was playing golf at his beloved St. Bonaventure University golf course. He never once acknowledged he was ill. That was the kind of man Jim was. Jim Hastas knew what it meant to be a restaurant owner. He was a storyteller...he was a friend to everyone who walked in those doors. What Hastas Restaurant had to offer was more than a good meal at a good price. It was home. Part of its popularity and customer loyalty has stemmed from the way Mr. Hastas and his staff have treated everyone. Jim Englehart former SBU sports communication director stated, “I’m disappointed and surprised it's closing. It's a pillar of the community. There's no place like it."

John and Karol Long - 2016 Recipients

John and Karol Long owned Karol's Kitchen from 1986 to 2003 and Karol's Kitchenette from 2000-2011.

They were huge contributors to the Olean community and continue to contribute even after their retirement. They were hugely involved with community events such as St. Mary's festival, Oktoberfest, NYS Maple Fest, Farm City Days, Taste of Olean, and Rally in the Valley.  The couple won the annual Mental Health of Cattaraugus County Volunteerism Award.

Through their restaurant years, they worked to help the department of social services bring meals to the elderly and impoverished. They continue to support St. Mary's, Southern Tier Catholic and Walsh school functions. They are always helping their neighbors, friends and family.

Anthony Fratercangelo - 2016 Recipient

Anthony's dad, Nicholas "Nick" Fratarcangelo, received this award several years ago. Anthony continued in his dad's footsteps by continuing to operate Angee's Restaurant. Not only has Anthony carried on the restaurant with delicious, quality, famous food, he has stepped it up in so many ways. He has added wonderful additions and specials to his menu. He opened up and renovated the outside of the restaurant into a wonderful and prosperous alfresco dining option.

Anthony helps out the community in which he grew up in. He has helped many area sports and school teams with fundraisers. He is a man of generosity who donates food for those who have had a loss in their family. Best of all, when former residents and even past coaching staff and players from St. Bonaventure University come back to visit Olean — most of the time, their first stop back is Angee's — a destination / meeting place for all. Anthony created that kind of atmosphere at Angee's.

Joe Marra - 2015 Recipient

Hospitality comes naturally to Joseph Marra who has been in the business of accommodating guests for the past 45 years. His earliest experience began with the family business at the original Downtown Deli. In 1975, the business was relocated and became the Downtown Deli/ Rack n’ Rib Room. Joe became an intricate part of the family business working every day beside his father, Louis Marra.

Joe left to attend Morrisville College, receiving his degree in Restaurant Management. Even while in college, he would travel home on weekends and holidays to work in the family business. In September of 1981, he married his wife, Susan, who also became part of working in the family business. In November of 1981 a fire destroyed the Downtown Deli/Rack n’ Rib Room.

One of the principal traits of the Marra family is to preserve and move forward. This led to the opening of The Old Library Restaurant. In 1982, Joe worked with a labor of love helping his family to renovate the Carnegie Library into a fine dining establishment. In 1989, Olean’s first Bed and Breakfast was opened, The Old Library Inn. With the sudden passing of his father in 1990, Joe, along with his wife, Susan continued to operate The Old Library Restaurant and Inn. Joe and Susan owned, operated and grew The Old Library, one of Olean’s most treasured landmarks. They continued to receive guests from around the world at the historic Old Library Inn. Born and raised in Olean, NY, Joe has a commitment to his hometown. He has been a leader in this hospitality community with his creativity, innovations and integrity. It is common knowledge that restaurant people are among the hardest working people, Joe Marra is a true example of that.

Marlayne Robinson - 2015 Recipient 

Marlayne Robinson has been working as a waitress for almost 56 years. Her first job was at Harvey & Carey's located on North Union Street in downtown Olean in October of 1959.

From there, she was hired by the L'Alcove Restaurant at their first location on north Fourth Street in Olean. Marlayne transferred to the L'Alcove Restaurant's new location on North Union Street and worked there for many years. Marlayne is currently working at the St. Bonaventure Clubhouse Restaurant. Marlayne resides in Olean and has a daughter and two grown grandchildren. She is the caregiver of her family. Marlayne volunteers annually at Christmas and Thanksgiving serving dinners at St. Mary of the Angels Church.

Tom Weatherell - 2015 Recipient

Tom has been in the food industry business for over 36 years. During these years, he has owned and operated Subway Pizza and Subs, East Side Pizzeria and Hoagies and Mickey's Restaurant.

 In 1989, he and his wife Debbie purchased Mickey's as a convenience store. Over the next 26 years, Tom transformed Mickey’s from a convenience store to a beverage center, to a 2-seat deli, then a 34-seat deli, and now a full service 160 seat restaurant.

Mickey's is a family-owned business that Tom operates with his wife, two sons, Eric and Adam, and a loyal staff of 18. His son, Eric, currently manages Mickey's and will continue the tradition.

John Sue "Mac" - 2015 Recipient

Wikipedia defines Hospitality as the relationship between guest and host, or the act or practice of being hospitable. Specifically, this includes the reception and entertainment of guests, visitors or strangers, resorts, membership clubs, conventions, attractions, special events and other services for travelers and tourists. No one exemplifies these attributes better than Mac Sue.

For many years, Mac's name was synonymous with the Castle Restaurant, and prior to that, the HoStaGeh Restaurant. Mac also entertained at Moonwink's Restaurant in Cuba.

No matter where he played, he always provided top notch entertainment and surrounded himself with the best musicians in the area.In 1979, Mac traveled to California and partnered with Flip Oakes and created The Wild Thing 'band.' They played the LaCosta Golf Spa Resort, on the Queen Mary in Long Beach, and toured on the noted 'Love Boat' around the South Pacific, Japan, China, and Borneo.

Not only was Mac entertaining the folks on these cruises, but he also performed music for the Sunday church services for them as well. Mac was much more than just a piano player in a restaurant. He was a highly trained classical musician. He played in several area churches and helped add a touch of elegance to countless weddings, receptions, funerals and many special concerts. He was loved and respected by not only his many fans, but by the music community as well.

Louis Frungillo, Sr. - 2014 Recipient 

Louis was manager of the L'Alcove Restaurant for more than 40 years. Known as the whistling manager and bartender, he assisted and directed many young chefs. Olean Times Herald former reporter Mike Abdo was quoted, "Lou, you see, knew the customers right down to the minutest detail...Lou, the maitre d'hotel at the L'Alcove — both past and present establishment, was L'AIcove owner Butch Butchello's solid right arm”

The original L'Alcove Restaurant for years was a consistently successful member of the Butchello family of businesses, and this success was largely due to Louie.

He was the face and personality of the old L'Alcove serving as bartender, maitre-d', and patron confidant all wrapped up in one. In some opinions, he created a caring environment with his clientele much like the one depicted in the 80's sitcom "Cheers". Most of the customers were regulars and some even had their "regular" bar stools as part of their daily or weekly rituals.There was no avoiding Louie's upbeat and engaging personality. You see you couldn't get to the dining room without going through the bar. And from behind the bar Louie would greet everyone, check on their table, fix them a drink while they waited, and serve as an advisor on life if appropriate —that is if he wasn't talking baseball. Does this sound like Cheers to you? In our book it was Olean's version. Stephen Leonard, whose parents were regulars at the restaurant, shared this, "l never saw one of the Butchello's there. I think that was because the restaurant did so well without their direct involvement, which allowed them to focus on the Castle and their other businesses. When you walked into the old L'Alcove Louie often greeted you before the door even closed behind you. And that reception always made you feel like family. I now look back and understand why some people that lived alone and had no family made the old L'Alcove part of their routine. It wasn't the need for alcohol. It was the need for an environment where people recognize you and they care about you. That atmosphere was set by Louie and kept alive by Louie. I never saw him in a bad mood. And if he wasn't talking, he was whistling or smiling. If I tried to smile as much as he did, I'd have very sore cheeks.

John F. Coffey - 2014 Recipient

John, better known as Jack to his family and friends, was born in 1936 in Salamanca, NY. He served in the United States Army in Germany for two years and then served in the reserves out of Olean for another two years. His military service began his love of cooking, as he was a cook the time served in the Army/reserves. Jack worked at Loretta Foods and in the kitchen at the Castle Restaurant with Chef Lentola. Chef Lentola took Jack under his wing and taught him a lot.

In 1962, Jack became the cook at  St. Bonaventure University Friary. He served for 45 years as head chef at the friary at St. Bonaventure University and retired in 2007.

In 1997, Jack was honored at the university during a special mass held during the Feast of St.Francis. Rev. Jack Zibert, OFM, guardian of the friary, stated, "Through his kitchen service Jack Coffey has been a part of the lives of the friars. He shares our Franciscan ideals and values. His joy and laughter uplift the entire spirit of the community and he has been a silent but key element of the St. Bonaventure Friary.”

As part of the affiliation, Jack was presented with the symbols of the Franciscan faith and order as well as a certificate of affiliation from the Most Holy Name Providence of Friars and the Franciscan Order. He received the habit and the Book of the Gospel.We are grateful for this generous man who teaches us much by the power of his example and for his presence and service among us for all these years," Father Jack said.

Eugene Stopha - 2014 Recipient

“Gene” was born on September 2, 1935, at Our Lady of Victory Hospital in Lackawanna, NY. He grew up in Bayview, near Buffalo. As a teenager, Gene worked in a bakery in Hamburg, NY. He joined the Army soon after his high school graduation in1953.

Gene learned to cook during his service in Korea. In 1955 he re-enlisted and served as the cook for a 35-bed military hospital in Livorno, Italy until December 1957.

After his military service, Gene worked at a country club in Buffalo where he met a telephone company office manager and Allegany native named Jeanne Eaton. They were married in 1960 and moved to Allegany where Gene started working for Patsy Piccioli. Piccioli's Restaurant was located on North Barry St, Olean, the current site of Jamestown Community College. In the mid 1960's the Stopha family moved to Arcade, NY and opened the Crystal Inn. This was one of the region's largest fine dining restaurants. In the late 1960's Gene moved to Bolivar and briefly ran a butcher shop. Gene went back to work for Patsy until Piccioli's Restaurant was sold to Denis Goodamote. It became the Heritage Inn and both Gene and his wife Jeanne worked there. During this period, Gene also worked for the dining service at Alfred University.

In the early 70's, Gene opened the Olean House with Neil Goodemote. The Olean House offered a wide range of foods that included an historic, fine dining location named "Hoop’s Retreat," an Italian restaurant named "Mama's Parlour", and a coffee shop and a pub. Gene not only cooked this diverse menu, but he also managed the kitchen. The Stopha children joined in the work at the Olean House. Jane was a waitress. Paula was the salad girl. Mark bussed tables and washed dishes. Jeanne filled in whatever task was needed. She also sewed beautiful historical dresses for the Hoop's Retreat wait staff.

When the Olean House closed in 1979, Gene went to cook at the Bradford Club in Bradford, PA. While working the long hours required of any professional chef, Gene also helped Jeanne with church suppers and other charitable dinners. After 20 years, Gene retired from the kitchen. Since 2005, he has lived in Hilton Head, South Carolina. He answers cooking questions on the phone from his children and grandchildren who live as far away as Pennsylvania and Alaska. His passion for cooking and eating well (and his sense of humor in the kitchen!) lives on in all those who have enjoyed his food, from Korea to Italy to South Carolina and all the way back to Olean.

Richard Piccioli - 2014 Recipient

“Richie” started his restaurant career at his father's restaurant in the late 1940s as a busboy, salad maker and waiter. He expanded his responsibilities with preparing food and buying meats and groceries for the restaurant.

In the early 1950s, he served four years in the United States Air Force returning to take over the bartending and managerial duties. This included paying all bills, hiring the employees, purchasing all liquors, beer and restaurant supplies.Richie continued working until his father sold the restaurant in 1967.

Richie took a change in careers with a job teaching school for 30 years. Once retired, he returned to the hospitality industry, bartending at the Elks Lodge and Moose Club in the 1990s. He catered parties for some of his father's old customers. He officially hung up his apron and spatula when he retired from all restaurant activities during the late 1990s.

Jackie Attard - 2013 Recipient

Jackie and Renato Attard moved to the United States after being married   in Renato's native Khartoum, Sudan Africa, to start their life together.

The business first started out with Jackie baking home-made pita bread and baklava and selling it out of her home and through local grocery stores. From there it progressed into buying their first location, which at the time was a grocery store, located on North Union Street.

The grocery store quickly became an international food store, as they started supplying imported meats, cheeses, spices and other ingredients, featuring items especially from their native Italian and Lebanese background. From there, Jackie's Lebanese food started coming out and Renato started doing a few entrees as dinner specials... the rest, as they say is history.

They opened Attard's on April 16, 1975. Every dish seems to be cooked with TLC. Olean is fortunate to have someone who can prepare ethnic food that delights the taste buds of many in our community. The tabbouleh, baba ganoush, homemade hummus, perogies, and gyros are a delicacy, plus the atmosphere in the restaurant is inviting and warm.

Instrumental in bringing authentic international cuisine to Olean. She introduced foods and prepared them in a way that was unusual even for larger cities in the U.S. let alone Olean. Attard's became a mainstay of dining out in Olean, as it evolved from a little take-out shop to a bigger restaurant. The whole family helped build a warm and welcoming place for the community to gather.

John Malara - 2013 Recipient 

John Malara was born in 1951 in Santa Barbara, Reggio Calabria, Italy. In 1966, John came to America on a ship with his mother and brother, Domenic, to meet up with his father, a sister and another brother who had come to America a short time prior to them. All his belongings were packed into a trunk.

At 15 years old, John was not able to speak the language of his new home country. He entered a first-grade class at the school district where he sat at a small desk with very young children. He had such a desire to learn about America he was willing to do all that it took.

John found work including being a caddy at the Bartlett Country Club, setting up pins at the Eagle's Club bowling alley, a short-order clerk for Paul's Steak House, as well as working as a busboy and cook at the Castle Restaurant where he worked under Butch Butchello and under the supervision of Chef Anthony Lentola.

In 1972, he joined the U. S. Navy and was a cook on naval ships. He learned about the cuisine and culture of the countries that he visited. Discharged in 1977 from the Navy, John then graduated from Alfred Tech in 1979 in Restaurant Management.

John started working in 1980 with Dominic Renna at Renna's Pizza in the Olean Center Mall. He was presented with the opportunity to purchase the shop. Shortly after, an agreement was signed; the business became Giovanni Renna's Pizza and was owned and operated by John Malara. Renna's has been in the mall since the mall opened. John has been in the food industry in someform or another since he was a very young man while also contributing to the Olean area business community with the longevity of Renna's Pizza. He is an expert in the pizza tossing and pizza sauce making business. Renna's Pizza has been sent around the world to Bosnia, Virgin Islands, Florida, California and more.

Richard Marcus - 2013 Recipient 

Presiding over the staff, the kitchens and restaurants, plus 150 guest rooms of the Olean House was Richard 'Dick' Marcus. He was seen moving about the hotel every day and often helping on crowded nights with the food, carving the roast beef.

The Marcus family owned and ran the Olean House for almost 100 years in Downtown Olean. His grandfather, H.W. Marcus purchased the current incarnation of the hotel in the early 1900s, and ownership and management passed to his sons Leo, Mendell and his father Benjamin.

In the late 1950s, Benjamin asked his son Dick Marcus to step in as manager, and although it was supposed to be for a short time, it was almost twenty years until he sold it to HUD for senior housing, just the moment when motels were rising in use, hotels dropping off. The Olean House was famous as a stopping place for traveling business people who would get off the Erie Lackawanna or Pennsylvania Railroads and come to the hotel for meals and rooms, walking up Union Street, or driven by "Taxi Joe" Magnano. It was a mainstay of downtown Olean, with "the coffee shop" which eventually was painted with murals of Olean in an earlier time.

The coffee shop had a cadre of waitresses who stayed for years, were known by travelers and local businesspeople who gathered there daily, and who served daily specials and normal menu items ranging from burgers and Sloppy Joes to delicious fried chicken, pancakes, homemade pies, rice-custard pudding and much more. A team of chefs and bakers cooked from morning to night. There was also the Main Dining Room which had a more formal menu than the coffee shop, and at one time the Marcus family even hired a husband-and-wife chef team, Georges and Janinne Frue. They came to Olean and added a French menu to the nightly offerings in the dining room! On Friday nights the family introduced the Fish Fry, and hundreds of people lined up to get it, freshly flown in from the seashore each Friday. On Saturdays was the Smorgasbord, a long table filled with hundreds of delights, and long lines waited for that too, paying the high price of $3.25 for all you could eat. The "Tap Room”, a real English barroom, was at the back of the hotel, and once a week prime rib of beef was offered. And often there would be banquets and weddings in the "ballroom" in the evenings and on the weekends. A free wedding cake was offered for each wedding.

Marketing was a skill that he possessed earlier than most in the industry and it brought in new and increased business. Dick offered special packages of room and meals for skiers coming to Holiday Valley or Ski Wing. Hundreds came from Canada, Cleveland, Pittsburgh to enjoy the good skiing and the good food, the spirited music in the tap room, and the general good will of our lovely town.

Louis Marra V - 2013 Recipient

“Little Louie”, Louis was instilled with a sense of hospitality, service and community at a very young age, as one of 7 children of Louis and Mary Barb Marra of Olean. Louie was also a part of a family-run restaurant operation that started when his father, the late Louie Marra, opened the former Downtown Deli in 1969. 

His start in the restaurant business was at the Downtown Deli in Olean. Louie worked there until 1981 when the deli was destroyed by fire. From 1988-1994, Louie owned and operated Casey's Steakhouse in Limestone, NY, and assisted with another family-owned and run restaurant, the Old Library Restaurant.

As the doors to the steakhouse were closing due to lack of business growth, Louie took over owning and operating the Café Marquis (Fred's Breads) in the heart of downtown Olean. The Café brought an expansion to catering service as well as wholesaler for baked goods to local eateries

Louie was one of the founding committee members of the Taste of Olean, which began in August 1991. Like his father, Little Louie believed in these community events and how they add to the quality of life in the area.

Louie was tragically killed in a one-car accident on July 9,1999. Although his service in the hospitality industry was short, his significant contributions to the restaurants and foods from Olean were great.

Nicholas Livoto - 2012 Recipient

Libratore Angelo Fratercangelo made his journey from Italy to America in 1904. With the help of his son Nicky, he opened a restaurant in 1948 at 475 North Union Street. Nicholas Fratercangelo, also known as "Little Nicky,' retired from his job at Clark Brothers in 1948 to assist his father in the management of Angee's Restaurant.

Nicholas Livoto was one of Angee's original employees. He was referred to as "Big Nick '' because he was much bigger than Nicky Fratercangelo.

“Big Nick” was the head chef at Angee's for 44 years. He had a flair for serving up many delicious meals. When he was in the kitchen you knew it wouldn't be long before your favorite Angee's meal was at your table ready to eat. Big Nick passed away in 1988 but sometimes on a busy Friday night, you can still hear him in the kitchen giving orders.

Lou Russo - 2012 Recipient

Lou had a voice that was impossible to forget, a voice that left audiences wanting more and brought crowds to their feet. That voice has gone silent. Noted baritone Louis "Lou" Russo was best known for performing his rendition of "The Star- Spangled Banner" before St. Bonaventure University basketball games, and "New York, New York" during halftime.

But for more than two decades, he was also a regular performer at the Castle restaurant and at area events, nursing homes, fundraisers, weddings and funerals. Born Sept. 22, 1922, a son of two Italian immigrants, Mr. Russo began singing at age 11. He picked up the talent from his father, Antonio. After graduating from Olean High School in 1941, he joined the Navy.

Mr. Russo traveled the world during the four years he served in the U.S. Navy, and he spent time singing to wounded troops in Australia before ending up in New York City and New Jersey, singing with big bands. It was there that Mr. Russo met his wife, Mary, to whom he was deeply devoted.

He was on his way to the big time, but instead returned to Olean with his beautiful wife Mary and worked at McGraw Edison for the next 32 years. Mr. Russo and Mary had one child together, a daughter who would give them five grandchildren. Mr. Russo's family, especially his nieces, nephews and grandchildren, "were his life." He was very family oriented. Lou was a genial, caring, sociable and well-liked performer who shared his singing talent with this community that he loved. When asked, Lou sang at weddings, special occasions, and charitable fundraisers.

For thirty years he sang the national anthem at the St. Bonaventure games free gratis. This came about when the Reilly Center opened in 1966 and Larry Weise, then the Bonnie coach, requested that Lou sing the anthem before the basketball game. There was lots of love that the St. Bonaventure University students had for Mr. Russo during his time singing at basketball games, and this love was universal.

Lou received the 1992 Golden Deeds award from the Exchange Club in May of that year. The club recognized him for a lifetime of sharing his talents as well as himself and most of all by singing the national anthem at the beginning of each St. Bona basketball game. In 1997,

Lou planned to sing the music he loved with the Bob Lucia Big Band Orchestra. At St. Bona's annual homecoming in February 1998, Lou was presented with a plaque for his years of entertainment by the athletic administration. It was on this occasion that Lou sang his final national anthem before the Bonnies basketball game. We miss you Lou, miss your friendly smile, your rich baritone voice and the joy your talent brought to many, many of us in this community.

Steven Hollowell - 2012 Recipient

Steven was born and raised in Olean. His restaurant career began in early 1970s as a busboy at the Castle Restaurant, owned at that time by Guerino "Butch" Butchello, and supervised by Al Lafredo.

After graduating from Olean High School, Steve attended Fredonia State College. While there, on the recommendation from Dan Butchello, he worked as a waiter at Rusch's Restaurant in Dunkirk near Lake Erie. He returned to Olean in 1973 and was employed at McGraw Edison for a short time before returning to the Castle as a banquet waiter. He advanced to banquet director, then to dining room manager, and finally to general manager. During these years, Steve had the honor of working with "Butch," Danny, Jerry and David Butchello, along with learning much from Chef Anthony Lentola.

Steve left the Castle in 1991 just prior to its closing. A few months later, he was contacted by the owners of Moonwink's Restaurant and asked to take over managing operations of their year-old fledging restaurant in Cuba, NY. Many of his customers and some of his staff from the Castle followed, which allowed Steve to quickly establish a solid foundation on which to grow. Strong support from shareholders has allowed Steve to continue to grow and expand the restaurant and bring it to the level of great food and fine service which he is accustomed to. Along with now being a shareholder, Steve has supervised many remodeling and expansion projects, worn every hat from maintenance, to cook, to bartender, to dishwasher, and everything in between with the same enthusiasm as his early years.

He always listens to customers and co-workers’ suggestions, evaluates, and then implements the necessary ideas/strategies that will benefit the business. His dedication and love of the business has created a long and successful career, and he looks forward to another 20 years at Moonwinks. Steve is a board member of the Cuba Chamber of Commerce and an Advisory Board member of Alfred State College Culinary Department. He resides in Cuba with his wife of 21 years, Tamra, and two children, Olivia & Sean. Bon Appetite!

Neil and Denis Goodemote  - 2011 Recipients

May 1965 - The original Beef 'n' Barrel opened! Neil and Denis Goodemote, brothers and owners, opened to a crowd. Much interest was generated in this new restaurant, which brought Beef on Wick to the Olean area, by the creative signage out front as the building was renovated and this new restaurant was created. The Olean Times Herald covered the opening with pictures and articles. The line to get into the restaurant started at the front door and wound all the way up to the Olean House.

The Beef 'n' Barrel soon became a very popular dining spot for many miles around and was frequented by the Bonnies basketball players, including the famous Bob Lanier. Of course, the rest is history.June 1967 - Neil and Denis purchased Piccioli's restaurant from Patsy Piccioli, totally remodeled it and later opened it as The Heritage Inn, which became a white tablecloth, fine dining establishment. Later Denis took possession of The Heritage Inn and Neil took possession of the Beef 'n' Barrel. Neal ran The Beef 'n' Barrel until 1972 at which time he sold it to the present owner, James McAfee. 1973 - Neil leased the Olean House property and completely remodeled and renovated it into a series of individual dining facilities under one roof, which he called The Village Green.

 The Village Green consisted of the remodeled Coffee Shop, (complete with the cleaned and restored wall mural which depicted life in Olean 'back in the day") which was a popular spot for breakfast, lunch and dinner. They featured specials each day as well as the bottomless cup of coffee, brewed with Artesian well water. The Coffee Shop was a busy place, frequented by many area businesspeople and merchants, back when the Olean uptown area was THE place to shop. In addition, The Village Green had an Italian restaurant called Mama's Parlour, two remodeled dining rooms called Hoops Retreat (named after Major Hoops, an historical figure in Olean history) and The Courtyard, and The Lounge, which was the remodeled former taproom at the rear of the building.

As you can see, Neil and Denis Goodemote contributed greatly during their time in Olean, by providing quality dining establishments that were extremely popular in their day. Had it not been for their creativity and foresight, The Beef 'n' Barrel, which is probably one of the most popular restaurants in the area today, would not exist.

James Pappas - 2011 Recipient

James owned and operated the Texas Hot Restaurant at 263 North Union Street in Olean for approximately thirty years, from the early 1920's to the 1950's. The restaurant was located where the present Rite-Aid Drug Store is now located.

The Texas Hot Lunch was open 24 hours a day and was particularly noted for its famous Texas Hots and sauce. The original recipe was produced by Mr. Pappas, a Greek immigrant who arrived in this country in his teens and who did not have any culinary skills. He often worked eighteen to twenty hours a day to make a success of his business, serving as the chief chef, waiter, and manager. Though his English was not perfect, he strove daily to make his place of business a more perfect one, in which his customers were offered generous portions of quality food, a relaxed atmosphere, and the opportunity for his customers to sit and socialize without being rushed.

In spite of the little time he had for himself and his family, he served as an Air Raid Warden, joined a local fraternal organization, and never, ever failed to exercise his precious right to vote. The Texas Hot closed sometime in the 1950's due to Mr. Pappas' health related issues. When he passed away in 1967, countless individuals whom his family did not know, came to the funeral home and told the same story repeated over and over; that Jim Pappas and the Texas Hot had fed half of Olean free during the depression years, and that anyone who had come to the restaurant and couldn't pay, never left without being fed. The Texas Hot Lunch was a popular restaurant for people of all levels and ages.

Customers usually had to stand in line to get to their Texas Hots and businesses often called ahead for as many as 40-50 "hots" to go. Fifty years after the Texas Hot closed, his daughter continues to receive letters from all over the country asking for the sauce recipe and telling her that they have never had any as good as her dad's. Jim Pappas was never rich, in terms of dollars and cents. He loved the Olean community, his work, his family, and his adopted country.

Each morning, upon arising, his wife, Mary, and daughters, Rose and Betty, would hear him say "God Bless America." He was a special boss, with loyal workers: two waitresses worked for him the entire duration of his business, as did a baker who made 100 pies daily.

Jim Pappas had a successful business, and though others in his place might have guarded his secret recipe selfishly, he willingly offered it to many others who opened restaurants in the area: Mr. Gust Hastas Of Hastas' Candy Kitchen in Franklinville, Mr. Jim Rigas and Mr. George Raptis of the Wellsville Texas Hots, and Mr. Mike Psathas of the Olean City Lunch, among others. Mr. Pappas was an individual who had a sense of gratitude for his customers, his community, and his adopted country.

Paul and Mary Psathas

Michael Psathas, Paul Psathas' dad, operated the City Lunch bar and restaurant on North Union Street at the site that housed Hasta's Restaurant.

Paul with his wife Mary continued on in restaurant splendor. They had a dining car manufactured in Fairfield, NJ, and shipped to Olean. It opened as Paul's Diner near the site that today houses Jamestown Community College. The couple also operated the State Diner on West State Street and built a new Paul's Diner, later changed to Paul's SteakHouse on West State Street.

Paul's Steak House, known for exquisite dining, also was known for the fiberglass steer, 17-feet high from hoof to horns, ordered from Venice, CA, placed on the roof! The lounge and five dining rooms seating 700, the business operated, with Mrs. Psathas providing entertainment on the piano and organ and Mr. Psathas on the drums, until it was destroyed by fire in January 1976.

Anthony Zampogna - 2011 Recipient

Anthony was born in Westline, PA on December 16, 1920 to Italian immigrants Giuseppe and Theresa Costerella Zampogna. He was the 4th of 11 children. When he was a young boy his family moved to Kane, Pa., where his father owned a butcher shop and was an avid gardener. His mother was noted for her cooking and baked goods. Both instilled in him an interest in cooking.

After high school, Anthony worked at the Texas Hot Restaurant in Kane. On August 22, 1942, he married Margaret Perilla. He enlisted in the US Army Air Corps in 1942, where he served as a cook until his promotion to Officers Club Mess Sergeant at the Drew Field Army Air Force Base in Tampa, Florida.

Following his discharge, he returned to Kane, Pa, where Anthony was the manager and cook of the Kane Elks Club. He then became the head chef at the Kane Country Club. In the mid 1950's he moved to Cleveland, Ohio where he was a sous-chef at the Canterbury Country Club. In 1959, Anthony was hired as chef for the Franciscan Friary by St. Bonaventure University. In the early 1960's, he was promoted to Manager of Food Services for the University where he served until his retirement in 1979.

At his retirement, he was specially honored by the President and Trustees for his years of service to the Bonaventure community. Among his many achievements were the creation of the St. Bonaventure Rathskeller and the opening of the St. Bonaventure Clubhouse Restaurant. During his tenure at St. Bonaventure, he provided food services for many areas civic organization functions. He especially enjoyed sponsoring the Special Olympics Track and Field Day Competitions held on the school campus. In 1979, he and his son Michael, along with their wives Margaret and Betsy, purchased the Hosta-geh Restaurant in Olean where he was manager and chef until his retirement in 1990. Under their ownership the Ho-Sta-Geh was remodeled and updated into one of the premier eating establishments in Western New York. Anthony died at his home in Olean on March 1, 2000.

Daniel Fessenden - 2010 Recipient

"Danny" Fessenden was born in 1910 in Northern Pennsylvania. After leaving school in the 8th grade to help support his family of five siblings, he went to work in a hotel in Bradford, Pa., assisting the cook in the kitchen.

He married in the mid-1930s and soon moved to Olean to take a job that would become his career in the Olean House kitchens. World War Il interrupted his career when Danny joined the Merchant Marines, serving in both the Atlantic and Pacific. After his service, Danny returned to the Olean area to resume his culinary career working for the Marcus family, owners of the former Olean House hotel. He would remain there for nearly 45 years except for a brief stint working around the corner at the Olean City Club.

In his years at the Olean House, Danny was Head Chef, butcher and baker in the kitchens that served the hotel. The Coffee Shop, the Dining Room, and the Ballroom all served the WNY Friday night staple - the weekly fish fry. Saturday nights, the Dining Room and Ballroom were opened into one large restaurant for the famous smorgasbord, featuring his prime rib, Swiss steak, lobster bisque, and countless other items all prepared in house. Sunday meant Danny's famous chicken and biscuits. Danny developed and prepared all his recipes from memory. Cooking was Danny's whole life, at work by 7 a.m. and staying until 9 p.m. or later, seven days a week, 365 days a year. In 45 years at the Olean House, he took only two week-long vacations. When the Marcus family sold the hotel to the Olean Housing Authority, Danny relocated to the L’Alcove Restaurant, working there for about five years until he left to help open Mr. Ed’s Restaurant. He remained there as a cook until health concerns forced his retirement. Danny died on August 4, 1979, but his mark on Olean's culinary history is remembered to this day by those that loved his food and those that worked with him.

Robert Styles - 2010 Recipient

Robert has owned and operated The Chuck Wagon Restaurant for 35 years and has been a part of its storied history since its earliest years, working there as a young boy. As a restaurant owner, Robert has relentlessly pursued the same high-quality standards for his food, customer service and cleanliness that have been the cornerstone of the restaurant's reputation and success since its founding in 1955 by Robert's father-in-law.

The Chuck Wagon has truly been a family endeavor with the whole family contributing to its daily operation. Over the early years, his family was always working by his side; his wife, Judith, welcoming guests at the door and balancing the books at home, their children scrubbing dishes, busing tables or sweeping the parking lot.

"We Love Hungry People," as the familiar Chuck Wagon signage reads, was never just a slogan but Robert's mission for his restaurant, promising patrons a warm welcome and a made-to order "home-cooked" meal. He always said that the "customer was king" and he tried to treat them that way. That customer culture still exists today thanks to Robert's years of dedication and hard work. Robert still makes most of the specialty items himself from secret-unwritten family recipes handed down through generations since the founding but never straying far from their roots at the Chuck Wagon.

Homemade quality never seems to go out of style and, with a name like Robert "Styles," it just has to be a little unique. Robert continues to serve the people of Olean with love and gratitude by setting a standard of excellence to be felt and shared by all who frequent The Chuck Wagon.

Jim McAfee - 2010 Recipient

The Beef 'N' Barrel has grown since Jim McAfee bought it from Neal Goodemote in the spring of 1971. Employed as bartender and manager of the restaurant, he took the opportunity to become owner with the intention of being in it "for the long run."

At the start, the restaurant could only seat 75 guests. Long lines of customers at the lone entrance and the opportunity to buy additional real estate encouraged the first of the expansions which doubled the seating capacity and added another entrance. Other additions have increased seating to 250 guests and the restaurant still has lines. Although its famous beef bar and homemade apple pie have been Beef 'N' Barrel's most popular items, the menu has seen changes through the years. Today the menu consists of specialty drinks, starters such as the flowering onion, green salads, homemade soups, side orders like hot German potato salad, Beef Bar, ground round, desserts, house favorites, char grilled choice steaks, and the daily lunch and dinner specials.

Priorities have remained the same over the years. The food is most important, and a quiet atmosphere follows close behind. "People can come in and just have a piece of apple pie and coffee," Jim said, "We always take care of the food, and the rest takes care of itself. According to Jim, a key to maintaining a successful business is the staff. "l have an excellent crew. I wouldn’t be where I am today if it weren’t for these people."

Anthony Bassano - 2010 Recipient

“Tony” Anthony began his food service career while still attending high school and working at the Castle Restaurant, assisting the cooks. He later worked with Chef Lentola, learning basic cooking skills and helping create the Loretto dressing recipe.

Tony enlisted in the U.S. Navy in 1952 and attended the Naval Cook and Baker School in San Diego, Ca. After being discharged from the Navy, he returned to the Castle in 1954 where he participated in all phases of culinary work. In 1964, he began his tenure at St. Bonaventure University, which spanned 30 years. Starting as a chef and assistant food service manager, he assumed the role of Director of Food Services in 1979. In this position, he was responsible for making the menus and feeding all the university students and management of The Clubhouse Restaurant. In addition, Tony was also responsible for all campus catering and special functions which included the Olean High School Alumni Reunion banquets, the Jim Kelly Football Camp and all summer conferences held on campus.

In 1980, Tony received The Department of the Army Certificate of Achievement for continued, outstanding support of the St. Bonaventure Reserve Officers' Training Corps in the area of food service. Tony was honored as a member of Who's Who Worldwide for demonstrating leadership and achievement in the food service industry in 1992.

Other accomplishments include assisting with the first annual St. Bonaventure Church festival, now known as "Bonafest," and St. John's Italian Festival. Retiring from St. Bonaventure in 1994, he continues to volunteer for various functions, sharing his experience and vast knowledge of the food service industry.

Quinto and Dora Bagazzoli - 2009 Recipients

Quinto and Dora, both born in Sarnano, Italy, came to America In 1954.  After working with his brothers in a small cafe in his hometown of Sarnano, Italy, a 22 year-old young man departed from Genova, Italy aboard a ship named Andrea Doria heading to America, the land of opportunity. 

While Quinto was working in Bradford, PA, a famous local restaurateur named Patsy Piccioli met Quinto and asked him to come to Olean and be a chef for his restaurant. Four years later, he returned to Sarnano, Italy to marry his longtime girlfriend, Dora Manili. Returning in February of 1960, both Quinto and Dora began working at Piccioli's Restaurant until its closing. At that time Quinto went on to become one of the opening chefs at the new Holiday Inn hotel in Olean. Another opportunity arose in 1969 when Quinto was hired as head chef for the Bartlett Country Club, where he was employed for 10 years. Quinto and Dora hosted and catered for many private parties for many years because he was known for his expertise in cooking wild game and fish dinners. He taught Dora this art of cooking and she became his right-hand partner in the kitchen. During this time, Quinto dreamed of opening his own restaurant and he began planning for this day. 

On September 25, 1980, his dream of opening a restaurant came to fruition, as the next seven years both Quinto and Dora enjoyed the opportunity to cook while working together. Quinto's Restaurant was located at 206 Coleman Street in Olean, NY and was a small family run Italian restaurant, with seating for 40 people. Customers enjoyed the Italian cuisine as many became frequent faces especially for the homemade lunches and the specials provided on a daily basis. Quinto and Dora hosted an Election Day Dinner, open to both Democrats and Republicans at their restaurant. The traditional dinners continued for many years. The theme is to compete in the weeks prior to Election Day but then wine and dine as friends. After the passing of Quinto Bagazzoli on April 27, 1987, Dora Bagazzoli continued the dream of Quinto by operating the family restaurant for 11 more years with the help of her son, Enzo Bagazzoli. On August 31, 1998, Quinto's Restaurant served its last meal, not to customers but to friends of the Bagazzolifs. The two signs over the door leading to the restaurant said it all, “No one leaves here hungry”  and "You are a stranger here but once”.

Bill Augostini - 2009 Recipient

Bill started in the restaurant business in 1952, washing dishes at the L'AIcove Restaurant on North 4th street in Olean. After graduating from Olean High School in 1955, he continued his education and received his degree in Food Service and Restaurant Management from Erie Community College, in Buffalo, NY.

He worked at the Castle Restaurant until 1963 when he became the director of Food Service for the Olean Public School District.

Bill purchased the Der Hut and Tavern in 1973 and in 1978 changed the name to "Augostini's", with Italian--American cuisine. Bill and Joyce retired in 1991. He is thankful for his family and friends for a successful and happy business.

Nicholas Fratercangelo - 2009 Recipient

Libratore Angelo Fratercangelo made his journey from Italy to America in 1904. Like most Italian immigrants, Angelo could not speak English when he arrived, however, he successfully made his mark in the restaurant business. With the help of his son Nicky, he opened a restaurant in 1948 at 475 North Union Street. Angees Restaurant remains at the same location today, some 50 years later.

“Little Nicky," retired from his job at Clark Brothers in 1948 to assist his father in the management of Angees Restaurant. In the early 1960's Angelo retired and passed the restaurant on to Nicky. For the next 25 years, Nicky added a personal touch which made the restaurant what it is today. From the introduction of pizza to his trademark white shirts, Nicky's ideas and ideals made Angees into a favorite meeting and eating place for the hometown crowd.

Nicky retired in the 1980's. His retirement came partly due to ill health, but mostly because he wanted to see his sons carry on a part of his life that he loved so much. Nicky passed away in February of 1998 but up until a week before his death you could find him every morning at the front table at Angees visiting with old friends and making new ones.

It is now owned and operated by his son, Anthony Nicholas Fratercangelo.

Louis L. Marra - 2009 Recipient

Louis Marra was born in 1936 and was a lifelong citizen of Olean, NY. Louie's dedication and commitment was lived through his love of Olean and of feeding people, this bringing joy, happiness and pleasure to many.

Louie's venture into the restaurant business began in 1968 and ended in 1990. He took great pride in his dream and desire to successfully being able to give Olean his gift of restaurant hospitality.

His family treasures his gift and will always hold dear all our years of working together as the Louie Marra family, led by an amazing personality and a self-achieved entrepreneur. Louie had a very diverse history of restaurants with each of them giving to and being a part of Olean in their individual way.

The many entities include: The Downtown Deli, Downtown Deli/Rack and Rib Room, Café Marquis, Pasta Luigi's, Casey's Restaurant, Old Library Bed and Breakfast and The Old Library Restaurant.

His venture into the hospitality business ended with his sudden passing in 1990, however his spirit lives on in the hearts and minds of his family, employees and customers. He lived and loved it all.

Lycia Bardenett - 2008 Recipient

Lucia (Lucy, Lou) was born in Olean, NY in 1896. She met her future husband, Humbert (Red) Bardenett, while he was delivering bread to her home in north Olean. Married in 1914, they operated the family bakery from 1923 to 1934 on Railroad Ave. across from the former Pennsy Railroad depot, which is now part of the Olean JCC campus.

In 1934 they opened Bardenett’s Grocery at 435 North Union Street and for a short period were in partnership with Lucillo Testi. Lou was a vibrant woman who opened Lou's Italian Kitchen at 301 North Barry Street in 1931. Taking on a business venture was a rarity for a woman at that time. She drew from her family's own southern Italian (Calabrian) and her husband's northern Italian (Lombardian) backgrounds to proudly present both cuisines to her patrons.

In 1946, Lou sold her Barry Street restaurant to a good friend Pasquale (Patsey) She soon re-entered the business on Rock City Road,  just a few miles south of Olean. With the help of her husband, son Jim, and daughter-in-law Wanda, Lou opened Lucia's Restaurant in 1949.

Her homemade cooking drew loyal customers from the Olean community as well as from Bradford and Buffalo. Her motto, "Abbondanza!" was especially appreciated by the "Bona boys" during the Depression since it was reflected in the extra-generous portions she served them.

Lou retired in 1965 and sold Lucia's to Louie and Nancy Giannechini. In 1981, Mayor William O. Smith presented Lou with a Key to the City for her work as the first president and a founding member of St. Ann's Lodge in 1924.

Lou's love of people and cooking was  evident in the care she took in preparing meals; she was happiest when sharing her food with friends, neighbors, and especially her family throughout her 89 years.

Carl Iseman - 2008 Recipient 

Carl started working in Olean, NY for Louis and MaryBarb Marra in 1975 at the Downtown Deli and The Rack and Rib Room. In 1982, he helped open and operate The Old Library Restaurant under the supervision of Marras.

After Louis Marra's death in 1990, he continued to be instrumental in the everyday operations of the kitchen until his retirement at age 78 in 2003.

Carl is noted for his long hours of dedication and commitment to quality food, always making sure the customer was fully satisfied with their dining experience. Living through a very tough time in our country's history and serving in WWII, Carl's values of customer service, hard work and food cost will never be matched. To have a chef of Carl s caliber and dedication for 28 years is priceless. The Marra family will be forever thankful, and his legacy will always be treasured.

John Sawaya, Sr. - 2008 Recipient

John and Betty heard an historic building, a funeral home, on East State Street was for sale. Investigating and loving the building, they made an offer, and it was accepted. With the help of some builders, John converted the upper part of the building's huge garage into two apartments. First moving into one of the apartments and then into the newly remodeled building, they rented the two apartments.

A friend who was a chef insisted John should convert the building into a restaurant and promised he could make an excellent menu. John believes in his being that he really wanted to do this all along, so they took on the challenge. As John says, “Believe me, I would have had trouble boiling water!" They shopped around for restaurant furniture and put together "The Century Manor."

The name came from the building that was over 100 years old. It wasn’t easy for a "person from below the tracks" to have the audacity to open a restaurant on East State but they were successful from day one.

The chef lived up to his promise and was able to produce an incredible menu. They applied for a liquor license and a year later in 1952 the liquor board issued it. With a lot of work and perseverance, they have been able to make "The Century Manor" the great restaurant that it is today. Working with the chefs that have been employed over the years, John is "finally able to boil water" and they continue to get better and better.

Louis and Nancy Giannechi - 2008 Recipients

The Giannechi's were a true team in the Restaurant Business.  In the 1950’s they owned and operated the Cabin Restaurant on West State Street Olean, NY. Opening the dining room and bar with a menu that included Fish Fries and Burgers and featured live music.  Louie played the drums as well as ran the business. He was raised from Italian immigrants learning to cook from his godfather Chef Settino Copetti.  

They then opened the Quickie sub shop, one of Olean’s first sub shops,  before embarking on their most noted venture, Lucia’s Supperclub, purchased from Lucia Bardenett in 1965. Dinner and dancing were enjoyed when you went “up the Hill” to Lucia’s Supperclub. The fall season was a particularly busy time of the year as the location on Rock City Road was spectacular for “leaf peeping”.

For 35 years, Louie ran the back of the house and Nancy ran the front, both handling everything in between that it takes to have a successful business. The Giannechi’s extended their hospitality to overnight guests at Lucia’s Motel. Being a family business, the staff included their kids, Christine, Kathy and Louis, who all learned life long skills working in the family hospitality business.   

Ask anyone who had the pleasure of knowing Louie and Nancy and they will say; “Great people, great friends.”

Pasquale "Patsy" Piccioli - 2007 Recipient 

Born in 1900 in Fano, Italy, Pasquale “Patsy” Piccioli arrived in the United States at the age of 14 and settled in the city of Buffalo.  There, he worked in the kitchens of some of Buffalo’s most prestigious food establishments. Patsy’s early jobs included apprentice at the former Broezel Hotel and fire starter and waterboy for the cooks at the old Iroquois Hotel.  It was during his time at the old Hotel Buffalo, the original Hotel Statler, that he learned the art of cooking under the guidance of a German chef.  At age 19, Patsy was named head chef at the Statler.

His first business venture, in 1923, was as a founding partner of Chef Restaurant, at its present Seneca Street location.  An early 1970s article in the Courier Express newspaper credits Patsy, or Pat P. as he was known in his early days in Buffalo, for naming it the Chef Restaurant.  He sold the business 11 years later and opened another restaurant, the LaCasa, on Washington Street. The Great Depression hit restaurant businesses hard.  Patsy decided to move his family to Pittsburgh to join his father in a construction enterprise.  During this period, Patsy also worked nights as a head chef at a neighborhood political club.                                                          

A year later, Patsy returned to Buffalo in time for the Dec. 31, 1934 grand opening of the Chez Ami Supper Club, a one-time glitzy Delaware Avenue nightclub, where he was the first head chef. Six months later, with the encouragement of his good friend Paul Maioli from the Country Club of Buffalo and persuaded by a group of patrons at Olean’s Bartlett Country, Patsy left Buffalo for Olean to become chef-manager at Bartlett. He remained at the club until 1945, when he and his wife Mildred, who died in 1950, bought the former Lou's Italian Kitchen on Barry Street in Olean from Lucie Bardenett.  They renamed it Piccioli’s Restaurant. Among Patsy’s favorite dishes to prepare were wild game dinners, seafood and, of course, Italian specialties. 

During the Piccioli years, the fame of his restaurant attracted a wide range of the nation's leading figures in business, industry, and sports.  Patsy took great pride in hosting and serving many of the Franciscan Friars and students from St. Bonaventure, as well as businessmen from Clark Bros., which later became Dresser-Clark.    A dinner at “Patsy's" was a must for visitors to the area. It also became the "in" place for the political set and other restaurateurs and chefs.  In 1947, the restaurant was partially burned and rebuilt within months with a new and modern kitchen. "People come for my food from all over the country," Piccioli often told newcomers proudly. Because he made it a point to spend much of his time "up front," a family atmosphere prevailed among the regular patrons and staff.  It was during this “up front” time that Patsy met Virginia Walsh, whom he married in 1956. 

 Sundays were the time for the family to gather for a meal at noon before the restaurant opened at 1pm to the public. That noon time gathering tradition continued at the Piccioli home on Fifth Street in Olean, where Patsy and Virginia hosted regular Sunday dinners for friends and family for almost three decades until Patsy’s passing in 1988. Patsy often expressed pride in the accomplishments of some of the younger chefs he had trained who went on to open their own businesses or work in larger establishments. When Piccioli's Restaurant was sold in 1967, Patsy agreed to remain with the new owners as supervising chef until he retired in 1974.

Anthony Lentola - 2007 Recipient

Anthony “Chef” Lentola was born July 3, 1905, in Antrodoco, Italy in the region of Abruzzi. He entered Ellis Island aboard the U.S.S. Woodrow Wilson in November 1923, and settled in Rochester with the uncle that sponsored him.

Chef had no knowledge of the English language and no trade. He began his culinary apprenticeship as a fry cook at the Seneca Hotel in Rochester. He continued to perfect his trade in restaurants and hotels in Rochester as well as Buffalo N.Y.

By hard work and dedication and a true love for cooking he elevated himself to the position of Chef. In 1948 he accepted the position of Head Chef at St. Bonaventure College, he fell in love with the community of Olean, N.Y.

In 1950, “Butch” Butchello said to a mutual friend, “if I could find the right man to head up this kitchen, I could turn my restaurant into a gold mine”. The introduction was made, and when Butch hired Anthony Lentola his dream was realized. Together, they turned the Castle into one of the country’s premier restaurants and made the Olean area a destination for excellent food.

In 1962, the Castle Restaurant received national acclaim when it was named one of the country’s top 20 restaurants at the Seattle World’s Fair.

During his 43-year reign as Executive Chef and developer of the locally renowned Loretto Spaghetti Sauce and salad Dressing, he mentored many aspiring cooks and future chefs. He took more pride in his pupils' successes than his own. Chef retired in 1993 at the age of 88. Chef outlived many of his contemporaries and even the business to which he gave so much of his life. At the time of his introduction into the Taste of Olean Hospitality Wall of Fame he was looking forward to celebrating his 103 birthday.

Guerino Butchello - 2007 Recipient

Guerino “Butch” Butchello, “Consistently the finest” 1915-1976. Butch came to this country in 1924 from Abruzzo, Italy. A graduate of Olean High School, he opened the original L’Cove Restaurant on North 4th Street in Olean in 1937, which quickly outgrew the tiny seating capacity.

In 1946 he purchased two small buildings on West State Street and on Mother’s Day that year he opened the Castle Restaurant for business. Two years later, the original structures were connected and over the decades enlarged and enhanced to create the beautiful and popular eating-place everyone remembers.

Butch also created Loretto Foods, named after his hometown Loretto Aprutino, which provided an assortment of frozen foods as well as the popular Loretto salad dressing. In 1963 he acquired the adjacent Olean Motel, which would become known as the Castle Inn. The locally renowned Castle soon became regionally and nationally known with recognition at the 1962 World’s Fair in Seattle as one of the nation’s twenty leading restaurants and its hosting of the Miss New York State pageant from 1966-1977.

Among numerous awards and other recognitions, Butch was named to hospitality magazine’s Hall of Fame in 1975. Butch set the bar very high for consistently fine cuisine and unparalleled attention to the customer service.

Many of the Hospitality Wall of Fame recipients got their start in Hospitality working under Butch and Chef Lentola and learned from them and incorporated what they learned into their successful enterprises.

Driven by desire to give something back to his beloved community, Butch never forgot where he came from, and from his modest beginnings, he methodically built his vision of the American dream for all to enjoy.

Glenn Zweygardt

The works of Glenn Zweygardt are simultaneously ancient and contemporary.  With his use of diverse materials- cast bronze, glass, iron, marble, stainless steel and granite- he creates complex media sculptures that exemplify a master of the three dimensional form.

Zweygardt possesses an uncanny ability to fuse dissimilar elements and concepts, natural occurring and fabricated forms, into structures that command the attention of the observer. For this sculpture, the relationship between the elements allows the observer to see the big picture of Hospitality efficiently - Gestalt. 

Zweygardt’s mastery of the building process along with his ability to create enormous works of art from materials of tremendous mass has gained him international recognition and membership to the Berman Group, a cooperative of sculptors whose collective work spans virtually the entire spectrum of possibilities of “traditional” modernist sculpture.  

Born in Kansas, Zweygardt earned a BFA degree from Wichita State in 1967.  He received a MFA from Maryland Institute of Art in 1969 and is an emeritus Professor of Sculpture at the New York State College of Ceramics at Alfred University.  Zweygardt works independently in his immense workshop in Alfred Station, New York.  Here his work continues to evolve-varied shapes and rich surfaces, transparent and dense forms, concept and technical relationship, personal and collective perceptions- into fine art of eminent legacy.